Strauss: Die Frau ohne Schatten - Kupper, Bensing, Schlüter, Kronenberg, Eustrati, C. Ludwig; Zillig. Frankfurt, 1950
Listen to a Sample:
- Recorded just one year after Strauss' death and 33 years after the work's premiere, this recording offers an interesting glimpse into Strauss' mystical opera's origins.
- Annelies Kupper's silvery soprano is perfect in the title role.
- Heinrich Bensing burly, yet lyrical tenor, makes the Emporer's daunting music sound easy.
- In the role of the falcon, a young Christa Ludwig gets a taste for an opera that she would one day own.
- The sound is excellent.
- Erna Schlüter falls short as the Dyer's wife. She just cannot cope with the tessitura of the part despite taking down many of the high notes.