Beethoven: Fidelio - Kuchta, Pribyl, Böhme, Fliether, Robson, Dobson, Robinson; Solti. London, 1968
Listen to a Sample:
- Anja Silja was to have sung this performance but was forced to withdraw. Fortunately Gladys Kuchta was available.
- Although at times she struggles with the most stratospheric vocal passages, Kuchta brings a warm sound and Wagnerian heft free of any harshness to the role of Leonore.
- Vilem Pribyl sings the role of Florestan with a welcome dose of youthful lyricism.
- Kurt Böhme brings fatherly warmth to the role of Rocco.
- Georg Solti extracts an ideal balance of fiery romanticism and classical elegance from the orchestra.
- The sound is very good.
- None to mention.
Gladys Kuchta sings arias from Fidelio, Der fliegende Holländer and Tristan und Isolde.