Strauss: Die Frau ohne Schatten - De Vol, Neumann, Roberts, Raffell, Mazura; Layer. Mannheim
Listen to a Sample:
- The names on this recording may not immediately jump out at you, but don't let that fool you. This is a remarkable performance of Strauss' magical fairy tale, Die Frau ohne Schatten.
- Luana De Vol combines innocence and power in the title role, throwing off steely high d flats as if they were nothing.
- Wolfgang Neumann manages to deliver the vocal goods as the Kaiser, without pushing his otherwise lyrical tenor.
- Brenda Roberts also brings a great deal of finesse to the role of the Färberin.
- Franz Mazura is luxury casting as the Geisterbote.
- Some of the interludes are missing as well as all of the Kaiser's Act II aria.