Strauss: Die Frau ohne Schatten - Rysanek, Schröder-Feinen, King, Berry, Hesse; Böhm. Salzburg, 1975
Listen to a Sample:
- This performance reunites most of the original cast from the legendary inaugural season of the new Metropolitan Opera House.
- Although she opts out of some of the most stratospheric high notes, Leonie Rysanek shows she still has the Straussian goods.
- James King's burnished tenor seems to relish the chance to linger in the upper extension of his voice.
- Ursula Schröder-Feinen does an admirable job in the role of the Färberin, but it is clear that her soprano is beginning to show the wear-and-tear that would ultimately curtail her very promising career.
- Walter Berry brings elegance to the role of Barak.
- The sound is excellent.
- None to mention.