Listen to a Sample:
- This performance is most notable for the fact that it features Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau in a rare turn as Amfortas. Fischer-Dieskau brings poetic eloquence to Amfortas' monologues and holds his own against Wagner's orchestration.
- Although late in his career, Hans Hopf delivers a finely sung Parsifal.
- Hildegard Hillebrecht's Kundry is like none other I have heard. She brings a sweetness of tone and purity of line even during the most dramatic moments that gives the character a slightly softer edge.
- Kurt Moll is wonderful as Gurnemanz. You will be hard-pressed to find a Gurnemanz more beautifully sung.
- The sound on this recording is far from ideal and I even considered holding off on releasing it. However, after hearing it all the way through I truly believe that there is a sterling performance beneath the flaws that needs to be heard.