Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg - Frantz, Aldenhoff, Lemnitz, Unger, Böhme, Pflanzl; Kempe. Dresden, 1951
Listen to a Sample:
- Ferdinand Frantz is without question a Hans Sachs for the ages, combining virile, masculine tones with the heart of a poet.
- Tiana Lemnitz is radiant as Eva.
- As Walther, Bernd Aldenhoff's voice is on the more dramatic end of the spectrum, but his solid technique carries him through some of the passages that bare a closer resemblance to Mozart than Wagner.
- In the smaller parts there are some fun cameos including Theo Adam as Hermann Ortel and Gerhard Stolze as Augustin Moser.
- I would be remiss if I didn't mention the exemplary playing of the Dresdner Staatskapelle under the direction of Rudolf Kempe.
- The sound is outstanding.
- None to mention.