Listen to a Sample:
- Despite being in her late 50s, Birgit Nilsson showed no sign of slowing down and delivers a powerful and unforgetable portrayal of Elektra.
- Her efforts are bolstered by a supporting cast that manages to rise to her level of vocal power and artistry.
- Leonie Rysanek's soaring soprano was made for the part of Chrysothemis. When her voice opens up it is nothing short of astonishing.
- Astrid Varnay paints Hofmannsthal's text vividly, all while demostrating that she still had the vocal goods to give Klytämnestra a slight degree of sympathy.
- Hans Sotin's meliflouos bass is well cast as Orest.
- Previous versions of this recording were underpitch by almost a half-step. We have corrected this issue and are happy to offer this wonderful performance in the correct pitch for the first time.
- Although the sound is generally pretty good there are some unfortunate drop-outs throughout the recording.