Wagner: Parsifal - Vinay, Mödl, Greindl, Fischer-Dieskau, Hotter; Knappertsbusch. Bayreuth, 1956
Listen to a Sample:
- Ramón Vinay and Martha Mödl were both brilliant performers, but somehow when they were paired on stage they achieved an electricity that was even more than the some of their individual brilliance. Vinay in particular sings with astonishing beauty and power.
- Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, in a rare turn as Amfortas, delivers a performance that is both anguished and vocally stunning.
- Josef Greindl's gruff bass brings an everyman quality to the role of Gurnemanz.
- Hans Knappertsbusch brings sweeping majesty to the proceedings.
- Although the sound is good there is some occasional light distortion.