Bizet: Carmen - Verrett, Domingo, Te Kanawa, Van Dam, Cahill, Van Allen; Solti. London, 1973
Listen to a Sample:
- Georg Solti unites the cast from his iconic Decca recording with one very notable exception - Shirley Verrett in the title role.
- Verrett's understated Carmen exudes an aloof magnetism throughout most of the evening, but switches gears in Act IV, unleashing thrilling defiance when faced with her own death.
- Plácido Domingo is excellent as Don José and delivers a vivid portrait of an otherwise sympathetic guy unraveling slowly before your eyes.
- Kiri Te Kanawa, barely 30 years old, nearly walks away with the whole show after her aria.
- José Van Dam exudes elegance and bravado as Escamillo.
- This performances uses the Oeser edition and is uncut (hence the three discs.)
- None to mention