Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen - Varnay, Välkki, Adam, Hotter, Hopf, Frick, Uhl, Wiener, Hoffman; Kempe. Bayreuth, 1963
Listen to a Sample:
- This cycle treats the listener to two Brünnhildes: Anita Välkki's youthful soprano is in excellent form in Die Walküre and Astrid Varnay summons up enormous dramatic reserves in Siegfried and Götterdämmerung.
- The part of Wotan is different in each opera, offering a pot pourri of great bass-baritones: Theo Adam in Das Rheingold, Hans Hotter in Die Walküre and Otto Wiener in Siegfried.
- Gottlob Frick's Hagen, in the history of great villains, is up there with Bela Lugosi.
- The cycle also features Franz Crass as Fasolt, Grace Hoffman as Fricka and Otakar Kraus as (a superb) Alberich.
- Jutta Meyfarth, as Sieglinde, is nowhere near the level of her colleagues.