Wagner: Parsifal - Hofmann, Rysanek (role debut), Talvela, Adam, Mazura; Stein. Hamburg, 1976
Listen to a Sample:
- On the occasion of Leonie Rysaenk's first Kundry, the Hamburg State Opera spared no expense, assembling a dream cast to support her inaugural run.
- Rysanek's Kundry is wild, tortured, sensual, pitiful and always delivered with her signature intensity and commitment.
- Peter Hofmann's legacy suffered a bit from recordings that were made past his prime. This Parsifal is a testament to the unique lyricism of his early days.
- Martti Talvela's warm, yet imposing bass finds a good fit in the role of Gurnemanz.
- Theo Adam brings tortured eloquance to the role of Amfortas.
- Franz Mazura's Klingsor is nothing short of terrifying.
- I would say that the sound is only fair.