Mozart: Così fan tutte - Söderström, Howells, Sciutti, Davies, Kerns, Evans; Davis. London, 1971
Listen to a Sample:
- The cast of this performance of Così fan tutte delivers a performance that has equal parts, great ensemble, spectacular singing, and (perhaps most importantly) humanity.
- Elisabeth Söderström's formidable soprano shows no sign of strain or effort throughout the evening.
- Graziella Sciutti's Despina exudes real-world charm.
- Some of the most beautiful singing of the evening comes from baritone Robert Kerns. Why he didn't enjoy a bigger career is a mystery to me.
- Geraint Evans brings a cynical charm to the role of Don Alfonso (not to mention some very beautiful singing.)
- The sound is not great. There is some noice from the audience and a portion of Act II including "Per pietà" is missing.