Wagner: Die Walküre - Nilsson, S. Björling, Nordmo Løvberg, Høiseth, Meyer, Tyren; Gielen. Stockholm, 1963
Listen to a Sample:
- Trust me, it's rare that you find a performance with a cast like this, in such good stereo sound.
- Birgit Nilsson is at the height of her powers. By the end of the opera, she sounds fresh enough to sing the role three more times.
- Sigurd Björling's baritone always sounded a bit too rough for my tastes. But here he sings with considerable lyricism and grace, leading me to suspect that maybe I have underestimated this artist all these years.
- As Siegmund and Sieglinde, Kølbjorn Høiseth and Aase Nordmo Løvberg bring youthful vitality, and nordic credibility.
- Kerstin Meyer makes a lot out of her brief appearance as Fricka, and Berit Lindholm and Barbro Ericson stand out as Valkyries.
- None to mention