Wagner: Das Rheingold - Hotter, von Milinkovic, Suthaus, Neidlinger, Brouwenstijn, Madeira; Knappertsbusch. Bayreuth, 1956
Listen to a Sample:
- The 1956 Ring Cycle gets off to a very strong start with this performance of Das Rheingold.
- Despite an occasional wooly quality that creeps into his tone, Hans Hotter is able to convey all the youth and ambition of the Rheingold Wotan.
- Vocally, Ludwig Suthaus may have been passed his prime, but he seems to relish the acting challenges that Loge provides him.
- Jean Madeira is one of the best Erda's I have ever heard. Her warm contralto conveys both the character's wisdom, all while making it clear why Wotan would be compelled to have eight children with her.
- Arnold Van Mill deserves kudos for his stoic, yet soulful Fasolt.
- None to mention