Mozart: La Clemenza di tito - Hollweg, Berganza, Moser, Auger, Rydl; Rudel. Wien, 1976
Listen to a Sample:
- Teresa Berganza's performance makes you wonder why this opera wasn't titled Sesto. She brings stunning vocalism, laser-accurate coloratura and a touching, boyish vulnerability to the part.
- Edda Moser means business as Vitellia! Why this singer hasn't gotten more attention over the years, I will never know. She is certainly one of the greatest dramatic coloraturas of all time.
- Arleen Auger is ravishing as Servilia.
- Werner Hollweg, in the title role, and Kurt Rydl as Publio are both very good, but the evening belongs to the women of the cast.
- The sound is generally good, although there is an intermittent buzzing that mars portions of the performance. I have left an example of this buzz at the end of the audio sample.