Bellini: La Sonnambula - Sutherland, Pavarotti, Rouleau, Harwood; Bonynge. Sydney, 1965
Listen to a Sample:
- If you are like me (i.e. not really a bel canto kind of guy) you need to listen to this performance. I found myself spellbound by the glory of the vocalism, and began to understand why bel canto became all the range in the 1960s.
- Spectacular seems too trite an adjective to describe Joan Sutherland. As Amina, she delivers warmth, agility, power, along with a sense of fun throughout the whole performance.
- Luciano Pavarotti brings charisma, and charm to the role of Rodolfo, along with stunning vocalism.
- Elizabeth Harwood manages to stand out as Lisa.
- Highly recommended for anyone who is curious what the fuss is all about when it comes to bel canto.
- The sound is a little distant.
Joan Sutherland sings arias from Norma and I Puritani.