Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg (Excerpts) - Adam, Bode, Kollo, Sotin, Hirte, Nienstedt, Zednik, Rydl; Böhm. Bayreuth, 1975
Listen to a Sample:
- The Bayreuth Festival pulled out all of the stops for a concert commemorating the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Festspielhaus.
- If you have ever had any reservations about Theo Adam they will likely fly out the window upon hearing this performance. He sings with astonishing ease and musicality, rising to the climaxes without every pushing his mellifluous bass-baritone.
- René Kollo sings an impressive Preslied.
- Given the abridged nature of this performance, Hannelore Bode and Hans Sotin don't have much to do as the Pogners, but their contributions still add to the overall excellence of this performance.
- Karl Böhm and the chorus and orchestra of the Bayreuther Festspiele are perhaps the true stars of this performance, executing Wagner's masterful counterpoint with intricate detail and feeling.
- There is some slight distortion that creeps in very occasionally.
This performance includes the overture and final scene.