Wagner: Tristan und Isolde - Esser, Malmborg, Hoffman, Nöcker, Wollitz; Masur. Venezia, 1971
Listen to a Sample:
- Kurt Masur proves himself an adept opera conductor, easing the singers through their notoriously difficult roles with style.
- Hermin Esser does admirably with the role of Tristan.
- Grace Hoffman is excellent as Brangäne.
- Gunilla af Malmborg displays an attractive instrument, but it is clear almost immediately that she lacks the voice for this part.
- Although the sound is quite clear, the miking favored the orchestra over the singers.