Wagner: Lohengrin - Kollo, Ligendza, Roberts, Nimsgern, Moll, Grundheber; Stein. Hamburg, 1977
Listen to a Sample:
- In the 1970s the Hamburg State Opera was a true hub for some of the finest singers in this business as this recording bears out. They were able to attract some of the finest freelance singers as well as foster a group of "fest" singers that were nothing short of astonishing.
- In the title role René Kollo combines flawless lyricism with stentorian power.
- Catarina Ligendza's soprano might not have had the lush beauty that you would expect of a great Elsa, but she does bring ethereal poise and dramatic power to the role.
- Brenda Roberts is a wild, yet alluring Ortrud.
- The rest of the cast includes Siegmund Nimsgern as Telramund, Kurt Moll as Heinrich and Franz Grundheber as the herald.
- None to mention.