Listen to a Sample:
- Gilda Cruz-Romo gleaming soprano is heard to excellent effect in the title role of Aida.
- Grace Bumbry, however, delivers the standout performance of the evening as Amneris, igniting the stage in her Act IV scene with Radamès.
- Thomas Schippers leads an idiomatic and insightful performance, often pushing the envelope with his tempi without every falling over the edge.
- A large chunk of the prelude through most of "Celeste Aida" is missing as well as the first few minutes of Act IV.
- There is occasional static throughout.