Mozart: Don Giovanni - Wächter, L. Price, Berry, Güden, Wunderlich, Sciutti, Panerai; Karajan. Wien, 1963
Listen to a Sample:
- This is truly a Don Giovanni fit for any desert island.
- The star of the evening is Leontyne Price who is found here at her absolute peak. Her voice combines power and agility, and she produces some of the most beautiful tones I have ever heard.
- Eberhard Wächter brings a suave yet understated confidence to the title role, although I have to admit, I do prefer hearing a bass in this part as his voice sometimes gets a bit lost in the lower register.
- Fritz Wunderlich demonstrates what a truly great Mozart tenor sounds like and is compelled by the Viennese public to encore "Il mio tesoro".
- The rest of the cast includes Walter Berry as Leporello, Graziella Sciutti as Zerlina, Walter Kreppel as The Commendatore and Rolando Panerai as Masetto.
- Herbert von Karajan brings a touch of romanticism to Mozart's score, and the violins of the Vienna Philharmonic must be commended for their playing which is nothing short of exquisite.
- Pervious versions of this recording were about a half-step under pitch. I have repitched it.
- None to mention.