Verdi: Nabucco - Guelfi, Souliotis, Cecchele, Ghiaurov, Lane; Gavazzeni. Montréal, 1967
Listen to a Sample:
- A recording of Nabucco with a cast as uniformly astonishing as this is a true rarity.
- Giangiacomo Guelfi's oversized voice and stage presence seem made for the title role.
- At just 23, an age when most sopranos are concentrating on Mozart and Rossini, Elena Souliotis throws herself into the formidable role of Abigaille with abandon.
- Nicolai Ghiaurov's ample and melifluous voice is a luxury in the role of Zaccaria.
- There is a hiss throughout the recording.
This performance comes from a tour La Scala made to Montreal.