Listen to a Sample:
- I defy anyone to name a better live performance of Mefistofele.
- Renata Tebaldi is perfection as Margarita/Elena. The placement of the mics in the hall offers a unique glimpse of the shear size of her voice in a way that one can't really appreciate from her studio recordings.
- In the title role, Carlo Bergonzi is elegance personified.
- Nicolai Ghiaurov's thunderous bass exudes charm and menace as Mefistofele.
- This performance includes a number of cuts including almost all Act II and the entirety of the Walpurgis scene.