Tchaikovsky: Pique Dame - Vishnevskaya, Andzshaparidze, Levko, Arkhipova, Mazurok, Obraztsova; Khaikin. Montreal, 1967
Listen to a Sample:
- The forces of the Bolshoi export Russian autheticity and virtuosity to the Montreal World Expo.
- As Lisa, Galina Vishnevskaya combines the vocal innocense of her Tatyana with the fiery intensity of her Tosca.
- Zurab Andzshapadidze, a tenor who was mostly based at the Bolshoi, is a superb Gherman.
- Great cameos by Irina Arkhipova who nearly steals the show with her rendition of Polina's aria and Elena Obraztsova who makes a brief appearance as the Governess.
- Sound is slightly distant and there is an occasional buzz.