Wagner: Das Rheingold - Uhde, Töpper, Stolze, Bjoner, Stewart, O. Kraus, Höffgen; Kempe. Bayreuth, 1960
Listen to a Sample:
- This Rheingold boasts an all-star cast, guided by the insightful leadership of Rudolf Kempe.
- As Loge, Gerhard Stolze breaths vitality into every word of Wagner's prose.
- Hertha Töpper's sultry Fricka adds a dimension of glamor to a character who can so easily devolve into an unsympathetic harridan.
- Otakar Kraus' Alberich is delivered with astonishing intensity and conviction.
- The smaller parts include Thomas Stewart as Donner and Ingrid Bjoner as Freia.
- Hermann Uhde's Wotan, to my ear, is not the most dynamic and he struggles at time with the upper end of his voice.