Strauss: Elektra - Mastilovic, Rysanek, Hoffman, Hopferweiser, Wimberger; Hollreiser. Wien, 1977
Listen to a Sample:
- It's astonishing to think that back in the seventies performance of this caliber were fairly commonplace in Vienna.
- Grace Hoffman's Klytämnestra is the most interesting feature of this performance. Hoffman's pristine mezzo gives this character needed sympathy, blurring the lines between protagonist and antagonist in typical ancient greek fashion.
- Leonie Rysanek, already in her 50s, brings her trademark abandon to the role of Chrysothemis. If there is just a touch of strain at the top of her voice that wasn't there in the 1960s, the trade off is a darker hue to her tone that is quite compelling.
- Danica Mastilovic's voice was already showing signs of strain, but she manages the title role admirably and with dramatic conviction.
- Lotte Rysanek makes a notable cameo as the 5th maid.
- None to mention.