Wagner: Götterdämmerung - Varnay, Hopf, Frick, Cordes, Meyfarth, Kraus, Välkki; Kempe. Bayreuth, 1963
Listen to a Sample:
- Astrid Varnay, although nearing the end of her soprano days, still has the goods to deliver an impeccably sung and acted Brünnhilde.
- Gottlob Frick's machiavellian Hagen is one for the ages.
- Otakar Kraus' brief appearance as Alberich nearly steals the show.
- Rudolf Kempe paces the evening very well, offering a sincere interpretation free of mannerisms and ego.
- Although remarkably sturdy, Hans Hopf's Siegfried is a bit wooden.