Beethoven: Fidelio - Rysanek, Uhl, Frick, Berry, Muszely, Unger; Maazel. Wien, 1964
Listen to a Sample:
- Full disclosure: the sound is not very good in this recording, but the phenomenal performances still manage to rise above the sonic limiations.
- Leonie Rysanek is ravishing as Leonore. She is absolutely fearless when it comes to the daunting tessitura of this part.
- Fritz Uhl gets a chance to show his more lyrical side as Florestan. His opening aria is particularly impressive.
- Gottlob Frick brings avuncluar charm to the role of Florestan and Walter Berry is an imposing Pizzaro.
- Lorin Maazel leads a romantic, yet brisk performance, and treats the audience to a truly rousing Leonore 3 overture.
- As I alluded to above the sound is not very good. Probably not the best Fidelio if you are planning any trips to a desert island.