Wagner: Parsifal - Kollo, Randová, Sotin, Weikl, Mazura, Ridderbusch; Stein. Bayreuth, 1975
Listen to a Sample:
- The youthful cast assembled for this performance of Parsifal delivers an energetic and deeply moving accounting of Wagner's final opera.
- In his prime René Kollo managed the impossible: surmounting the enormous demands Wagner placed on his tenors without compromising the youthful lyricism of his voice. Siegfrieds and Tristans would eventually take their toll, but in 1975 he is near ideal in this part.
- Eva Randová's electric mezzo-soprano is heard to thrilling effect in Act II.
- Hans Sotin's sonorous basso cantante gives Gurnemanz a youthful color without sacrificing "gravitas."
- Bernd Weikl brings anguished virility to the role of Amfortas.
- None to mention.