Wagner: Tristan und Isolde - Nilsson, Thomas, Hesse, Wiener, Talvela, Dermota; Böhm. Wien, 1967
Listen to a Sample:
- There will never be another Isolde like Birgit Nilsson and she is captured at her absolute best in this recording from 1967.
- Jess Thomas's lyric tenor didn't weather Wagnerian waters as well as some of his colleagues, but he is captured here at a point when he was first venturing into the very heavy dramatic roles and his voice had not lost its honey-toned sheen.
- Martti Talvela's Marke is heartbreaking in its noble restraint.
- The miking of the orchestra really shows off the remarkable virtuosity and unique sound of the Vienna Philharmonic.
- The sound is excellent.
- There are a few minutes of mild skipping in Act I