Wagner: Siegfried - Windgassen, Nilsson, Adam, Wohlfahrt, Böhme, Köth; Suitner. Bayreuth, 1967
Listen to a Sample:
- Again, Otmar Suitner steps in mid-cycle to relieve Karl Böhm, and delivers a performance that easily rivals his more famous colleague.
- Wolfgang Windgassen is tireless in the title role, and relishes the opportunity to display his heroic top as well as the more lyric side of his voice.
- Birgit Nilsson makes much of Brünnhilde's brief but daunting awakening in Act III.
- Erwin Wohlfahrt deserves a shout-out for his wily, yet surprisingly vocally distinguished Mime.
- There is some very mild and occasional static in Act III.