Wagner: Siegfried (Act III) - Svanholm, Flagstad; Furtwängler. Milano, 3-24-1950
Listen to a Sample:
- We all know and love the Furtwängler Ring Cycle from La Scala that has been available for years. This is a fascinating glimpse of one of the other performances in that run from March 24
- Set Svanholm and Kirsten Flagstad offer definitive performances as Siegfried and Brünnhilde.
- Wilhelm Furtwängler had a way with Wagner that defied any one specific approach.
- The sound, although good for the era, is not as good as some of the versions of the well-known broadcasts of this run.
- The recording begins just after the Wanderer's exit.