Wagner: Siegfried (Act I) - Lorenz, Janssen, Witte; E. Kleiber. Buenos Aires, 1938
Listen to a Sample:
- Some golden age era Wagner for you courtesy of Teatro Colón in Buenos Aires.
- Erich Kleiber brings character and grace to Wagner's orchestration.
- Max Lorenz's burly lyricism is right at home in the role of Siegfried.
- Herbert Janssen's Wanderer is imposing and elegant.
- One has to wonder if Erich's son Carlos (aged 8 years old at the time of this performance) was in the audience...
- The sound is not idea. There is some wobbly pitch towards the beginning of the recording.