Wagner: Götterdämmerung - Nilsson, Windgassen, Greindl, Stewart, Mödl, Neidlinger, Dvoraková, Silja; Böhm. Bayreuth, 1967
Listen to a Sample:
- Birgit Nilsson is in sterling voice as Brünnhilde for this broadcast of Götterdämmerung that was aired the same year the commercial recordings were being taped.
- As Hagen, Josef Greindl's black bass has the perfect mix of sugar and venom.
- Martha Mödl's narrative as Waltraute is far superior to the version that was released, the odd mistake notwithstanding. Even with diminished vocal resources, this artist had the ability to transfix like few other sopranos could.
- There is no shortage of luxury casting, including Ludmila Dvorakova as Gutrune, Thomas Stewart as Gunther and Anja Silja as the Third Norn.
- There are about eight or so very brief drop-outs (less than a second) throughout the performance.