Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg - Adam, Bode, Cox, Sotin, Hirte, Reynolds, Weikl; Varviso. Bayreuth, 1974
Listen to a Sample:
- This run of Meistersingers was recorded for Phillips. The cast on this broadcast is nearly identical, the one notable difference being Theo Adam's Hans Sachs (Karl Ridderbusch sang it on the recording.)
- Theo Adam delivers a mellifluous Hans Sachs.
- Jean Cox, a Bayreuth mainstay in the 1970s, shows that despite having sung multiple Siegfrieds, he was still capable of some sublime lyric vocal stylings.
- Hans Sotin's Veit Pogner may be some of the most beautiful Wagner-singing I have ever heard.
- Although the sound is generally very good, the last half of Act II is marred by static.