Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen (In English) - Kingsley, Herincx, Haywood, de Marseille, Estes, Mangin, Cariaga; Holt. 1977
Listen to a Sample:
- Lovers of operas in English will appreciate this important counterpoint to the legendary Goodall Ring.
- The role of Brünnhilde at times proves a stretch for Margaret Kingsley, although she does finds her footing in Götterdämmerung where she delivers a very impressive performance, particularly in Act II.
- American tenor James McCray acquits the role of Siegfried with impressive lyricism and heft, all while rendering the text with remarkable clarity.
- Raimund Herincx's imposing yet avuncular Wotan is an incredible asset and speaks volumes of an artist who never really made it to the big leagues.
- Although Simon Estes may have lacked the gravitas of a true bass, the rich color of his voice makes for one of the most elegant Hagens you are likely to hear.
- One of the highlights of the cycle is Lorna Haywood as Sieglinde. Haywood's voice is slighly more slender than your usual Sieglinde, but she throws herself into the part with complete abandon and seems to relish soaring into the stratasphere of her glorious top.
- Ticho Parly brings impressive vocalism to the role of Loge, even if his English diction is slightly lacking.
- The recording is in very good stereo sound.
- This performance includes a number of cuts.