Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen - Nilsson, Vinzing, Beirer, Cox, Adam, Ridderbusch, Sotin, Hoffman, Hofmann; Stein. Wien, 1976
Listen to a Sample:
- This Ring Cycle captures what was likely one of the final Brünnhilde's of Birgit Nilsson. Although she understandably sounded fresher ten years prior, her voice had acquired a warmth that it lacked in her early days.
- Ute Vinzing takes the Walküre Brünnhilde and offers a wonderful contrast to Nilsson.
- Despite a vocal diet that had consisted of the most challenging Heldenbariton roles, Theo Adam's voice sounds as fresh as ever, and imparts every word with remarkable care and intention.
- In an era of star-conductors, Horst Stein faded somewhat to the background. This Cycle reveals a point of view that is as relavant as Knappertsbusch, Karajan and any other great Wagner conductor.
- Throughout the performance there are occasional brief drop-outs.