Wagner: Der fliegende Holländer - London, Rysanek, Greindl, Uhl, Paskuda, Fischer; Sawallisch. Bayreuth, 1959
Listen to a Sample:
- This recording leaves no doubt that there has never been a better pairing in this opera than Leonie Rysanek and George London.
- In her early days Leonie Rysanek was the perfect Senta. Her voice had this gorgeous sheen to it with seemingly endless power reserves on top.
- George London was equally brilliant. He was able to give the Dutchman a tortured elegance that conveyed a character both hardened by his circumstances yet still vulnerable.
- Josef Greindl brings warmth and humor to Daland's music.
- Wolfgang Sawallisch favors brisk tempos, which helps give even the most dramatic passages a feeling of lightness that is quite welcome.
- The sound is excellent.
- None to mention
Leonie Rysanek sings arias from Der fliegende Holländer, Tannhäuser and Lohengrin.