Wagner: Das Rheingold (Extended Excerpts) - Boehm, Shacklock, Svanholm, Weber, Klein, Turner; Rankl. London, 1950
Listen to a Sample:
- This recordings is a fascinating document of one of the early recorded broadcasts from Covent Garden.
- Andreas Boehm brings melifluous grace to the role of Wotan.
- Set Svanholm offers one of the best Loges I have heard, combining stentorian power with capricious agility.
- Ludwig Weber brings considerable nobility to the role of Fasolt.
- Jean Watson is an exceptionally fine Erda.
- This performance is not complete. There are a number of drop-outs, the most regrettable being the last 10 minutes of the opera.
- There is a good amount of hiss interspursed throughout the recording.