Verdi: Un Ballo in maschera - Arroyo, Spiess, Mastromei, Chookasian; Molinari-Pradelli. Buenos Aires, 1970
Listen to a Sample:
- The star of this show is Martina Arroyo, who gives the audience a lesson in great Verdi singing. I can't decide which is more impressive, the purity of her tone or the power of her instrument.
- Ludovico Spiess is certainly not a tenor for the ages, but his warm tenor voice always made him a sturdy addition to any cast.
- As Ulrica, Lili Chookasian is right at home, plumbing the depths of her seemingly bottomless contralto voice.
- The sound is very good and in stereo.
- During the last minute of the opera there is some light skipping.