Verdi: Otello (In English) - Cassilly, Stratas, Glossop, Garrard; Mackerras. London, 1969
Listen to a Sample:
- This performance of Otello in English assembles a trio of stellar singers who are able to convey every word of the text with crystal-clarity without sacrificing the Italianate nature of Verdi's masterpiece.
- Richard Cassilly brings remarkable range to the title part, alternating between honeyed tones and unhinged outbursts with ease.
- Teresa Stratas might have sounded odd singing in English to a British audience with her unmistakable Canadian accent, but I can't imagine anyone faulting her given the vocal control and interpretive commitment she brings to the role of Desdemona.
- Peter Glossop comes off as a Shakespearean actor who coincidentally possessed an incredible baritone voice.
- Occasionally throughout the performance there are very brief (less than a half a second) dropouts.