Listen to a Sample:
- From her first entrance, Beverly Sills is captivating as Violetta. Although the quality of her voice may have lacked the opulence of some of her colleagues, it is clear that she has something to say about this character. I found myself as engrossed in this performance (of a work I have come to know very well) as I have ever been.
- Stuart Burrows brings youthful ardor to the role of Alfredo.
- Peter Glossop proves that he is a Germont for the ages.
- A young Samuel Ramey makes quite an impression in the small role of Doctor Grenville. In fact it was his professional debut!
- Sarah Caldwell proves herself a master of Verdian style, leading the performance with drive and breadth.
- The performance is completely uncut!
- There is a hiss throughout the performance which I was able to diminish but not eliminate.
Beverly Sills Sings Arias From I Capuleti ed i Montecchi, Linda di Chamounix and Il Barbiere di Siviglia