Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier - Bampton, Cavelti, Chelavine, List, Destal; E. Kleiber. Buenos Aires, 1947
Listen to a Sample:
- Erich Kleiber gives a lesson in Straussian style, bringing infinite detail to Strauss' meticulous score. Listen to the articulation of the flute in Act I depicting the Marschallin's hair dresser Hippolyte trying to redeem his botched haircut. There are a thousand moments like this that bring the score to life in a way I have never heard before.
- Rose Bampton brings elegance and warmth to the role of the Marschallin.
- Olga Chelavine is exquisite as Sophie.
- It is almost impossible not to like Emanuel List's Ochs. His bumbling exuerbance is nothing short of infectious.
- The beginning of the Act III prelude is missing.