Strauss: Ariadne auf Naxos - Meier, King, Wise, Varady, Schöne, Cuberli; Sawallisch. Roma, 1976
Listen to a Sample:
- Italian Radio organized a team comprised of a (mostly) American cast, an Italian orchestra and a German conductor for this performance of Ariadne auf Naxos.
- In the title role, Johanna Meier brings the perfect blend of Wagnerian heft and Mozartian nuance.
- James King's stentorian tenor was made for Strauss. He is particularly stunning, however, in the more lyrical passages like his brief aria "Du schönes Wesen!"
- Julia Varady makes an excellent argument for why the role of the composer should be cast with a soprano, particularly during the extactic last moments of the prologue.
- As Zerbinetta, Patricia Wise manages to nail the coloratura in her aria, as well as offer some voluptously spun vocal lines during the Zerbinetta/Composer duet at the end of the prologue.
- A young Lella Cuberli sings the role of Echo.
- None to mention.