Wagner: Die Walküre - Vinzing, Bode, Beirer, Adam, Hoffman, Sotin; Stein. Wien, 1976
Listen to a Sample:
- Although Birgit Nilsson appeared in Siegfried and Götterdämmerung as Brünnhilde for the rest of this cycle, for some reason the decision was made that Ute Vinzing would sing the Walküre Brünnhilde (perhaps Nilsson, already nearing 60, had some concerns about the high Cs in the Hojotohos.) Vinzing does an admirable job filling Nilsson's shoes, singing with ease and an impressive evenness of tone throughout her registers.
- As Wotan, Theo Adam is in top form, bringing years of insight to the role as well as effortless vocalism.
- Hannelore Bode's steely Sieglinde may not be one for the ages, but she brings a youthful quality that is quite refreshing.
- Youthful is not the adjective I would use to describe Hans Beirer but he makes up for that with astonishing heroism in his singing.
- There are two brief patches of skipping towards the end of Act III.