Listen to a Sample:
- Plácido Domingo was famous for being hit-or-miss when it came to high notes, particularly in the role of Calàf. This performance from 1975 captures him on a very very good day and he seems to relish the opportunity to have the kind of access to his top that would elude him on other evenings. Needless to say the Verona public eats it up, demanding an encore of "Nessun dorma!"
- Hanna Janku's icy soprano is a perfect fit for the role of Turandot.
- Adriana Maliponte is stunning as Liù.
- Despite the festive nature of this (or any) performance at the Arena di Verona, there is some serious music-making happening thanks to the insightful leadership of conductor Giuseppe Patanè.
- The singers are at times a little distant and there is some variable pitch which I did my best to correct.