Mozart: Don Giovanni (excerpts) - Gobbi, Jones, Vaughan, Evans, Shirley, Kern, Ward, Bryn-Jones; Davis. London, 1967
Listen to a Sample:
- A young Gwyneth Jones adds Wagnerian power to the role of Donna Anna without distorting the classical style.
- Tito Gobbi was a bit past his prime to convincingly convey a true libertine but he makes up for it with nihilistic abandon.
- George Shirley's Don Ottavio is nothing short of exquisite.
- Geraint Evans' comic Leporello keeps the audience in stitches (and before surtitles no less.)
- The sound is a bit distant
- This performance was recorded up until "Il mio tesoro".