Donizetti: Roberto Devereux - Sills, Domingo, Quilico, Marsee; Rudel. 1970
Listen to a Sample:
- I have to admit I have never been a big bel canto enthusiast. That said I found myself absolutely riveted by this spectacular performance.
- Beverly Sills is at her absolute peak. She negotiates the coloratura with astonishing ease and with an intensity that surpassed my (already high) expactions.
- A young Placido Domingo offers sumptuous tones in the title role.
- Louis Quilico's black baritone makes for an imposing Nottingham.
- This is truly a performance for the ages.
- None to mention
Beverly Sills sings "Qui la voce" from I Puritani