Bizet: Carmen - Madeira, Ferraro, Taddei, Broggini; Beecham. Buenos Aires, 1958
Listen to a Sample:
- Since Carmen is such a crowd-pleaser, opera companies often relegate the assignment to second-tier conductors in order to save some money. Hearing Thomas Beecham lead this sparkling performance is a breath of fresh and reaffirmed my respect for Bizet's incredible mastery of atmosphere and dramatic pacing.
- Jean Madeira is very exciting in the title role.
- Pier Miranda Ferraro's top is incredible!
- Giuseppe Taddei makes much of Escamillo's brief appearances.
- The chorus sings in Italian.