Beethoven: Fidelio - Behrens, Vickers, Ward, McIntyre, Masterson, Davies, Lloyd; Goodall. London, 1976
Listen to a Sample:
- It should come as no surprise to his admirers, that Reginald Goodall indulges his impulses to luxuriate in the expansive genius of Beethoven's only opera. What is surprising is that in spite of the slower pacing, he is still able to keep textures light and nimble, and maintain the direction of the melody. In lesser hands the result would have likely been an inert performance.
- Hildegard Behrens sings the title role with commanding, and astonishing vocal purity.
- Jon Vickers was nearing the end of his career, but he still had enough command over his gargantuan tenor voice to navigate one of the most difficult roles in the rep.
- David Ward is excellent as Rocco, as is Valerie Masterson's honey-voiced Marzelline, and Donald McIntyre's suave, yet menacing Pizzaro.
- This recording replaces an earlier version I had, and is in much better sound.
- None to mention.
Replaces OD 10273-2